Andrew L. Ries, M.D., M.P.H.
Professor of Medicine and Family Preventive Medicine
Director, Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
CLINICAL AND INVESTIGATIVE INTERESTS:
- Pulmonary rehabilitation
- Evaluating health outcomes in chronic lung diseases
- Pulmonary and exercise physiology
- Ries AL, Farrow JT, Clausen JL. Accuracy of two ear oximeters at rest and during exercise in pulmonary patients. Am Rev Respir Dis 1985; 132:685-9.
- Ries AL. The role of exercise testing in pulmonary diagnosis. Clinics in Chest Medicine 1987; 8:81-9.
- Ries AL, Farrow JT, Clausen JL. Pulmonary function tests cannot predict exercise-induced hypoxemia in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Chest 1988; 93:454-9.
- Ries AL, Kaplan RM, Blumberg E. Use of factor analysis to consolidate multiple outcome measures in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. J Clin Epidemiol 1991; 44:497-503
- Ries AL, Kaplan RM, Chang J. The effect of posture on arterial oxygenation in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Respiration 1992; 59:317-21.
- Ries AL. The importance of exercise in pulmonary rehabilitation. Clinics Chest Med 1994; 15:327-37.
- Kaplan RM, Ries AL, Prewitt LM, Eakin E. Self-efficacy expectations predict survival for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Health Psychol 1994; 13:366-8.
- Ries AL, Kaplan RM, Limberg TM, Prewitt LM. Effects of pulmonary rehabilitation on physiologic and psychosocial outcomes in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Ann Intern Med 1995; 122:823-32.
- Sassi-Dambron DE, Eakin EG, Ries AL, Kaplan RM. Treatment of dyspnea in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a controlled clinical trail of dyspnea management strategies. Chest 1995; 107:724-9.
- Eakin EG, Sassi-Dambron DE, Ries AL, Kaplan RM. Reliability and validity of dyspnea measures in patients with obstructive lung disease. Int J Behav Med 1995; 2:118-34.
- Squier HC, Ries AL, Kaplan RM, Prewitt LM, Smith CM, Kriett JM, Jamieson SW. Quality of well-being predicts survival in lung transplantation candidates. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1995; 1152:2032-6.
- Ries AL, Picchi MA, Nguyen LHT, Moser RJ, Molgaard CA, Wasserman SI. Asthma in a Vietnamese refugee population. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1997; 155:1895-1901.
- Eakin EG, Resnikoff PM, Prewitt LM, Ries AL, Kaplan RM. Validation of a new dyspnea measure: The UCSD Shortness of Breath questionnaire. Chest 1998; 113:619-24.
- Ries AL, Kaplan RM, Myers R, Prewitt LM. Maintenance after pulmonary rehabilitation in chronic lung disease: a randomized trial. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2003; 167:880-888.
- National Emphysema Treatment Trial Research Group (Writing Committee: Fishman A, Martinez F, Naunheim K, Piantadosi S, Wise R, Ries A, Weinmann G, Wood DE). A randomized trial comparing lung-volume-reduction surgery with medical therapy for severe emphysema. New Engl J Med 2003; 348:2059-2073.
- The California Pulmonary Rehabilitation Collaborative Group (Ries A: Principal Investigator and author). Effects of pulmonary rehabilitation on dyspnea, quality of life and health care costs in California. J Cardiopulmonary Rehabil 2003; in press.
- Bordow RA, Ries AL, Morris TA (eds). Manual of Clinical Problems in Pulmonary Medicine, 5th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott, 2005.
- Kupferberg DH, Kaplan RM, Slymen DJ, Ries AL. Minimal clinically important difference for the UCSD Shortness of Breath Questionnaire. J Cardiopulmonary Rehabil 2005; 25:370-77.
- Ries AL. Minimally clinically important difference for the UCSD Shortness of Breath Questionnaire, Borg Scale, and Visual Analog Scale. COPD: J Chron Obstruct Pulm Dis 2005; 2:105-10.
- Ries AL, Make BJ, Lee SM, Krasna MJ, Bartels M,Crouch R, Fishman AP for NETT Research Group. The effects of pulmonary rehabilitation in the National Emphysema Treatment Trial. Chest 2005;128:3799-09.
- Ries AL, Bauldoff GS, Carlin BW, Casaburi R, Emery CF, Mahler DA, Make B, Rochester C, ZuWallack R, Herrerias C. ACCP/AACVPR Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines. Chest 2007; 131:4S-42S.
- Ries AL. Rehabilitation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and other respiratory disorders. In: Fishman AP, Elias JA, Fishman JA, Grippi MA, Senior RM, Pack AI, eds. Fishman’s Pulmonary Diseases and Disorders, 4th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2008;763-72.
- Kaplan RM, Ries AL. Adherence in the patient with pulmonary disease. In: Hodgkin JE, Celli BR, Connors GL, eds. Pulmonary Rehabilitation: Guidelines to Success, 4th edition. St. Louis: Mosby Elsevier, 2009:316-29.
- Internal Medicine
- Pulmonary Medicine
UCSD Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Ries, contact Seneca Goodman at 858-534-4877
For more information, Dr. Ries can be reached at: email@example.com