Robert M. Smith, M.D.
Professor of Medicine
Associate Chief of Staff for Research and Development
Chief of Staff/Medical Director, VA San Diego Healthcare Systems
SPECIAL CLINICAL INTERESTS:
- Delivery of care in the intensive care unit and therapeutic interventions in ARDS
- Diving and hyperbaric medicine
- Alpha1 proteinase inhibitor deficiency
- Application of clinical informatics for improving quality of care
- Regulation of oxygen radical production by lung phagocytes
- Biochemistry of acute lung injury
- Quality and outcomes associated with ICU care
- Health services outcomes and delivery
- Smith RM, Traber DL, Spragg RG. Pulmonary deposition and clearance of aerosolized alpha-1-proteinase inhibitor administered to dogs and to sheep. J Clin Invest 1989;84:1145-54.
- Smith RM, Curnutte JT, Mayo LA, Babior BM. Use of an affinity label to probe the function of NADPH binding component of the respiratory burst oxidase of human neutrophils. J Biol Chem 1989;264:11228-43.
- Schmidt HHW, Smith RM, Nakane M, Murad F. Ca2+/Calmodulin-independent diaphorase and reductase activities. Biochemistry 1992;31:3242-9.
- Umei T, Babior BM, Curnutte JT, Smith RM. Identification of the NADPH-binding site of respiratory burst oxidase. J Bio Chem 1991;266:6019-22.
- Woodman RC, Reudi JM, Jesaitis AJ, Okamura N, Quinn MT, Smith RM, Curnutte JT, Babior BM. The respiratory burst oxidase and 3 or 4 oxidase-related polypeptides are associated with the cytoskeleton of human neutrophils. J Clin Invest 1991;87:1345-51.
- Park JW, Ma M, Reudi JM, Smith JM, Babior BM. The cytosolic components of the respiratory burst oxidase exist as Mr 240.000 complex that acquired a membrane-binding site during activation of the oxidase in a cell-free system. J Biol Chem 1992;267:17327-32.
- Chanock SJ, Faust LP, Barrett D, Bizal C, Maly FE, Newburger PE, Reudi JM, Smith RM, Babior BM. O2 production by B-lymphocytes lacking the respiratory burst oxidase subunit p47phox after transfection with an expression vector containing a p47phax cDNA. Proc Natl Acad Sci, USA 1992;89:10174-7.
- Smith RM, Neuman TS. Elevation of serum creatine kinase in divers with arterial gas embolization. New Engl J Med 1994;330:19-25.
- Chanock SJ, El Benna J, Smith RM, Babior BM. The respiratory burst oxidase. J Biol Chem 1995;269:24519-22.
- Chao W, Spragg RG, Smith RM. Inhibitory effect of porcine surfactant on respiratory burst oxidase in human neutrophils: Attenuation of p47phox and p67phox membrane translocation as the mechanism. J Clin Invest 1995;96:2654-60.
- Ahuja A, Oh N, Chao W, Spragg R, Smith RM. Inhibition of the human neutrophil respiratory burst by native and synthetic surfactant. Am J Respir Cell Mol Bio 1996;14:496-503.
- Smith RM, Connor JA, Chen LM, Babior BM. The cytosolic subunit p67phox contains an NADPH-binding site that participates in catalysis by the leukocyte NADPH oxidase. J Clin Invest 1996;98:977-83.
- Gregory TJ, Steinberg KP, Spragg R, Gadek JE, Hyers TM, Longmore WJ, Moxley MA, Cai GZ, Hite RD, Smith RM, Hudson LD, Crim C, Newton P, Mitchell BR, Gold AJ. Bovine surfactant therapy for patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1997;155:1309-15.
- Spragg RG, Smith RM. Pathology of the surfactant system in the mature lung. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 1997;155:756-60.
- Dang PM, Babior BM, Smith RM. NADPH dehydrogenase activity of p67phox a cytosolic subunit of the leukocyte NADPH oxidase. Biochemistry 1999;38(18):5746-53.
- Wiswell TE, Smith RM, Katz LB, Mastroianni L, Wong DY, Willms D, Heard S, Wilson M, Hite RD, Anzueto A, Revax SD, Cochrane CG. Bronchopulmonary segmental lavage with surfaxin (KL4-Surfactant) for acute respiratory distress syndrome. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1999;160:1188-95.
- Janz TG, Madan R, Marini JJ, Summer WR, Meduri GU, Smith RM, Epler GR, Schnader J. Clinical conference on management dilemmas: progressive infiltrates and respiratory failure. Chest 2000;117:562-72.
- Internal Medicine
- Pulmonary Medicine
VA San Diego
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Smith, contact Connie Siplyak at 858-642-3241
To contact Dr. Smith: email@example.com