Demosthenes (Demos) Papamatheakis, M.D.
Assistant Clinical Professor
SPECIAL CLINICAL INTERESTS
- Pulmonary Vascular Disease
- Critical Care Medicine
- Pulmonary Vascular Contractility
- Pathophysiology of Pulmonary Hypertension
- Papamatheakis DG, et. al. Preservation of serotonin-mediated contractility in adult sheep pulmonary arteries following long-term high-altitude hypoxia. High Alt Med Biol. 2011 Fall;12(3):253-64.
- Goyal R, Papamatheakis DG, et. al. Long-term maternal hypoxia: the role of extracellular Ca2+ entry during serotonin-mediated contractility in fetal ovine pulmonary arteries. Reprod Sci. 2011 Oct;18(10):948-62.
- Merritt T, Papamatheakis DG, et. al. Rho-kinase and extracellular Ca2+ entry act synergistically to regulate serotonergic pulmonary arterial contractility in newborn lambs born at high altitude. (In preparation).
- Fansi AA, Papamatheakis DG, et. al. Racial variability of glaucoma risk factors between African Caribbeans and Caucasians in a Canadian urban screening population. Can J Ophthalmol. 2009 Oct;44(5):576-81
- Papamatheakis DG, et. al. Chronic angle closure glaucoma secondary to supra-choroidal effusion induced by central retinal vein occlusion. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging 2007 Mar-Apr;38(2):248-249.
- Harasymowycz PJ, Papamatheakis DG, et. al. Relationship between travoprost and central corneal thickness in ocular hypertension and open-angle glaucoma. Cornea. 2007 Jan;26(1):34-41.
- Harasymowycz PJ, Papamatheakis DG, et. al. Congenital Ectropion Uveae and Glaucoma. Arch Ophthalmol. 2006 Feb;124(2):271-3.
- Harasymowycz PJ, Papamatheakis DG, et. al. Validity of screening for glaucomatous optic nerve damage using confocal scanning laser ophthalmoscopy (Heidelberg Retina Tomograph II) in high-risk populations: a pilot study. Ophthalmology. 2005 Dec;112(12):2164-71.
- Harasymowycz P, Kamdeu Fansi A, Papamatheakis D. Screening for primary open-angle glaucoma in the developed world: are we there yet? Can J Ophthalmol. 2005 Aug;40(4):477-86. Review.
- Harasymowycz PJ, Papamatheakis DG, et. al. Selective laser trabeculoplasty (SLT) complicated by intraocular pressure elevation in eyes with heavily pigmented trabecular meshworks. Am J Ophthalmol. 2005 Jun;139(6):1110-3.
- Harasymowycz PJ, Papamatheakis DG, et. al. Phacoemulsification and goniosynechialysis in the management of unresponsive primary angle closure. J Glaucoma. 2005 Jun;14(3):186-9.
- Papamatheakis DG, et. al. Thrombocytopenia and the risks of intraocular surgery. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging. 2005 Mar-Apr;36(2):103-7.
- Harasymowycz PJ, Papamatheakis DG. New Technologies in the Diagnosis and Monitoring of Glaucoma. Techniques in Ophthalmology 2004 Dec;2(4):142-54. Review.
- ATS Fellows Track Symposium 2011 Travel Scholarship, FTS/ATS 2011, Denver, CO
- 2011 AFMR Henry Christian Award, ERAFMR Meeting 2011, Washington DC, DC
- 3rd Prize, Resident/Fellow Basic Science, Scientific Poster Session, 79th Alumni Postgraduate Conference 2011, LLU Medical School, Loma Linda, CA
- AFMR Scholar Award, WRAFMR Meeting 2011, Carmel, CA
- Finalist; 7th Annual Respiratory Disease Young Investigators’ Forum, San Antonio, TX\
- 2nd Prize, Resident/Fellow Basic Science, Scientific Poster Session, 78th Alumni Postgraduate Conference 2010, LLU Medical School, Loma Linda, CA
- Greek State Scholarship Foundation’s (IKY) Award for highest academic achievement (2003)
- Dretakis Award for academic excellence during Medical School senior year (2003)
- GlaxoSmithKline Scholarship for post- graduate research abroad (2003)
- 2011 American Thoracic Society International Conference, Denver, CO, USA (05/11) - (Poster presentation).Postnatal Maturation Decreases The Role Of Rho-Kinase In Electromechanical Coupling Of Sheep Pulmonary Arteries. D.G. Papamatheakis, et. al. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 183;2011:A5025
- Experimental Biology 2011, Washington DC, DC, USA (04/11) - (Poster presentation). Combined influence of ontogeny and chronic hypoxia on ryanodine receptor function in sheep pulmonary arteries and myocytes. S Hadley,Q Blood,P Le,DGPapamatheakis, et. al. FASEB J. 25:1034.8
- 2010 American Thoracic Society International Conference, New Orleans, LA, USA (05/10) - (Poster presentations). a. Maturation and chronic hypoxia influence alpha adrenergic function in the pulmonary vasculature of sheep. D.G. Papamatheakis, et. al. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 181;2010:A6280. b. Influence of postnatal maturity and chronic hypoxia on calcium activated chloride channels in pulmonary arterial vasoconstriction. S. Vemulakonda, M.D., D.G. Papamatheakis, MD, et. al. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 181;2010:A6278.
- Experimental Biology 2010, Anaheim, CA, USA (04/10) - (Poster presentations). a. In utero hypoxia augments hypoxic pulmonary vasoconstriction in newborn lamb. SM Wilson, DG Papamatheakis, et. al. FASEB J. 24: 1023.15 b. Synergism between Ca2+ and Rho-kinase signaling during pulmonary arterial vasoconstriction in chronic hypoxic newborn lamb. DG Papamatheakis, et. al. FASEB J. 24: 1023.16 c. RyR function in sheep pulmonary arteries is differentially influenced by postnatal maturation and chronic hypoxia. Q Blood, P Le, DG Papamatheakis, et. al. FASEB J. 24: 1061.4 d. Nonselective cation channel function in sheep pulmonary arteries is affected by postnatal maturation and chronic hypoxia. DG Papamatheakis, et. al. FASEB J. 24: 1061.8 e. The role of CaL in sheep pulmonary arteries is altered by chronic hypoxia and postnatal maturation. S Vemulakonda, DG Papamatheakis, et. al. FASEB J. 24: 1061.6 f. Functional interaction of ClCa with RyR and CaL in pulmonary arteries from chronic hypoxic sheep S Vemulakonda, DG Papamatheakis, et. al. FASEB J. 24: 1061.7 g. Muscarinic acetylcholine receptor dependent pulmonary arterial contractility is reduced by chronic hypoxia in fetal sheep. D Nguyen, DG Papamatheakis, et. al. FASEB J. 24: 1061.8
- Experimental Biology 2009, New Orleans, LA (04/09) – (Poster presentation). The role of calcium-activated chloride channels to serotonin-mediated pulmonary arterial tone is influenced by postnatal maturation. S Vemulakonda, J Angermann,K Vranken, DPapamatheakis, et. al. FASEB J. 23:999.1
- Internal Medicine
- Pulmonary Disease
- Critical Care Medicine
To schedule a General Pulmonary appointment with Dr. Papamatheakis, call 855-355-5864 (LUNG).
For an appointment with Pulmonary Hypertension clinic, call 858-657-7100.
To contact Dr. Papamatheakis: email@example.com