Timothy Fernandes, M.D.
Assistant Clinical Professor
- Venous Thromboembolism
- Chronic Thromboembolic Pulmonary Hypertension
- Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension
- Epidemiology of Hospital-acquired Venous Thromboembolism
- Progression from Acute PE to CTEPH
- Outcomes after Pulmonary Thromboendarterectomy
- Fernandes TM, Taype-Roberts C, Li J. Venous Thromboembolism Prophylaxis, Shorter Courses of Isoniazid for Tuberculosis, and the Microbiome in Asthma. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. 2012;186(3):286-7.
- DelVecchio HM, Zona MA,Fernandes TM, Armitage, KB.Teaching Quality Improvement in Residency: One Institution’s Efforts. Am J Med Qual, 26:2, March/April 2011, page 10S.
- Vahl TP,Tauchi M,Durler TS,Elfers EE,Fernandes TM,Bitner RD,Ellis KS,Woods SC,Seeley RJ,Herman JP,D'Alessio DA.Glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) receptors expressed on nerve terminals in the portal vein mediate the effects of endogenous GLP-1 on glucose tolerance in rats.Endocrinology.2007 Oct;148(10):4965-73. Epub 2007 Jun 21.(PMID: 17584962)
SELECTED ABSTRACTS/POSTER PRESENTATIONS:
- Fernandes TM, DeSantis DJ, Chiles PG, Marsh JJ, Wells P, and Morris TM. “Urine Fibrinopeptide B as a Screening Test for Acute Pulmonary Embolism.” Poster presented at the American Thoracic Society Meeting, San Diego, CA. May 2014.
- Fernandes TM, Danielsen B, and White RH. “Short-term Survival in Patients Re-hospitalized for New-Onset Venous Thomboembolism following a Medical Hospitalization.” Poster and lecture presented at The Thrombosis and Hemostasis Summit of North America, Chicago, IL. April 2014.
- Fernandes TM, Kerr KM, Sternbach J, Fedullo PF, Kim NH, Poch DS, Madani MM, Pretorius GV, Jamieson SW, and Auger WR. “The Effects of Obesity on Outcomes Following Pulmonary Endarterectomy.” Poster presented at the American Thoracic Society Meeting, Philadelphia, PA. May 2013.
- Auger WM, Fernandes TM, Madani MM, Kerr KM, Fedullo PF, Kim NH, Pretorius GD, and Jamieson SW. “Pulmonary Hemodynamic Benefit is Achieved with Resection of Segmental-level (Jamieson Type III) Chronic Thromboembolic Disease.” Poster presented at the 5th World Symposium on Pulmonary Hypertension, Nice, France. March 2013.
- Fernandes TM, Danielsen D, Morris TA, and White RH. “Hospital-acquired and Post-discharge Venous Thromboembolism (VTE) in Patients with Cancer Hospitalized for a Medical Illness: Analysis of Risk Factors and Effect on Survival.” Poster presented at Chest 2012 annual meeting, Atlanta, GA. October 24, 2012.
- White RH, Danielsen B, Tancredi DJ, Hirsch C, Schein J, Fields L, Damaraju CV, Raut M, Kaatz S, Fernandes TM. “Predicting Hospital-Associated Venous Thromboembolism (VTE) in Medical Patient Who Do not Have Cancer.” Poster presented at Thrombosis and Hemostasis Summit of North America meeting, Chicago, IL. May 6, 2012.
- Rosko, AE,Fernandes TM,Huml AM, Armitage KB, and Yadavalli, GK. “The Humanities of Medicine: Bringing the Humanities Back Medicine.” Poster presented at Case Western Reserve University Medical Education Retreat, Cleveland, OH. February 11, 2010.
- Fernandes TM, DelVecchio HM, Zona MA, and Armitage KB. “Development of a Model for Teaching Patient Safety and Quality Improvement in Graduate Medical Education.” Posterpresented atIHI 21stAnnual National Forum on Quality Improvement in Health Care, Orlando, FL. December 6-9, 2009.
- Fernandes TM, Vahl TP, and D’Alessio DA. “Regulation of Visceral Afferent Nerves by Glucagon-like Peptide-1.” Posterpresented at National Meeting of American College of Physicians, SanFrancisco, CA. April 14-16, 2005.
- Fernandes TM and Morris TA. “Venous Thromboembolism Prophylaxis” in The Manual of Clinical Problems in Pulmonary Medicine, 7th Edition; editors, RA Bordow, AL Ries, TA Morris and JW Landsberg. In Press.
- Fernandes TM. “Mediastinal Masses” in The Manual of Clinical Problems in Pulmonary Medicine, 7th Edition; editors, RA Bordow, AL Ries, TA Morris and JW Landsberg. In Press.
- Fernandes TM. “Eosinophilic Lung Disease” in The Manual of Clinical Problems in Pulmonary Medicine, 7th Edition; editors, RA Bordow, AL Ries, TA Morris and JW Landsberg. In Press.
- Internal Medicine
- Pulmonary Medicine
- Critical Care
UCSD Pulmonary Hypertension Clinic
To make an appointment with Dr. Fernandes, please call 858-657-7140..